Thursday, February 16, 2012

Fajita Burgers

Be warned:  This is NOT figure friendly...but it sure is tasty!!  I figured this at 17 Weight Watchers Points Plus values.  Ummmm...that's not good considering it's a pretty small burger AND I only get 29 PP per day!  However, it's a super yummy cheat meal :)  Sorry, I didn't take any pictures, we ate them too fast!  Actually, I have one leftover that I'm planning to eat later this week so I'll try to remember to take a picture of that when I put it all together.

The recipe:

1 lb ground beef (I used ground chuck because it makes the juiciest burgers, but it's definitely the fattest option!)
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder

4 slices Pepper Jack Cheese

2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, sliced thin
1/2 green pepper, sliced into thin strips
1 cup salsa verde

1 package hamburger buns

1 rip avocado, smashed
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Tortilla chips for serving with remaining salsa

1)  In a large bowl, combine ground beef, worcestershire sauce, cumin and chili powder.  Form into 4 patties.

2)  Cook over medium heat on a non-stick skillet for about 4 minutes on each side (Eric did them on the grill for about 4 minutes per side).  Add cheese slices immediately.

3)  In a separate skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.  Add onion and bell pepper.  Saute for 3-4 minutes.  Add salsa verde and cook for an additional 2 minutes.  (I don't like to pay attention to times when sauteeing onions...it always seems to take longer to soften them)

4)  Mash avocado and combine with mayo.  Season with salt and garlic powder.  (This was AMAZING!!  We also dipped some tortilla chips in it!  I blame this for my measly weight loss of .4 pounds this week...so be careful!)

5)  Heat buns and assemble burger.  Place patty on bottom bun, top with salsa mixture, and smeat avocado mayonnaise inside top bun.  (When we did it in this order a lot of the salsa mixture and mayo squeezed out when we bit into it.  For Eric's second burger...yes, he ate TWO!...he put the salsa mixture under the burger, then the mayo on top and that worked out much better.)

Seriously you guys, I've had some good burgers in my life, but this was one of the top few!  So, if you ever feel like splurging and using some of your flex points, then go for this!  One thing I suggest, though, is to PLEASE eat it as the recipe calls.  I could tell my husband was skeptical at first because he judges food before he tries it.  All I asked of him was to have his first burger EXACTLY as the recipe calls for.  He hesitantly agreed...but his second burger he fixed the same way!!  So if my judgemental husband likes it, I'm sure you will too!!

Let me know if you make these!

**EDITED about one hour after posting this...just realized Eric took the last fajita burger for his lunch today :(  I'm crushed...I don't get to taste that deliciousness again AND you guys won't get a picture of it.  Ughh....this just ruined my day.  :(

No comments:

Post a Comment