Thursday, January 5, 2012

Chicken Thighs with Spinach and Mushrooms

And another Weight Watchers recipe to share with you.  I LOVE this one and so do my girls!  We eat a lot of chicken thighs in our house because a) they're cheaper than breasts and b) the PointsPlus value is the same as breasts for one serving!  Oh, and they're super yummy and moist!

1 (8-ounce) package no-yolk wide egg noodles
1 lb skinless bonelss chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 2-inch chunks
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp olive oil
1 (8-ounce) package white mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, chopped
1/4 lb plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped (I leave the seeds in...who has time to take them out??)
1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (I use my homemade broth, but don't know how it affects the PP value, I don't make any adjustments)
1 bunch baby spinach  (The recipe doesn't specify, but I like to do a coarse chop on the spinach so we don't have big pieces in the meal)
1/4 c low-fat (1%) milk (I use skim because that's what we keep on hand)
3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

1. Cook egg noodles according to package directions, omitting salt if desired; drain.  Keep warm.
2.  Meanwhile, sprinkle chicken with 1/4 tsp of salt and 1/8 tsp of pepper.  Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Add chicken and cook, turning, until browned.  Transfer to plate.
3.  Add mushrooms and onion to skillet; cook, stirring, until mushrooms release their liquid, about 5 minutes.  Return chicken to skillet.  Stir in tomatoes, broth, and remaining 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper; bring to boil.  Reduce heat and simmer, stirring, until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
4.  Stir in spinach, milk and Parmesan into chicken mixture.  Cook, stirring, until spinach is wilted.  Serve over noodles.

One serving is about 1 1/2 cups and is 8 PointsPlus values.  Not too shabby!  The only problem with this yummy recipe is sticking to only one serving!!  (Sometimes I'll allot 16 points for my dinner just so I can have a second helping)  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment